Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ConstanceR46

A lot of electric vehicles have an advantage in torque. If the discussion about it being an EMD Joule platform is correct, they could squeeze quite a bit of traction out of it.
  by scopelliti

Keep in mind all diesel electric locomotives have electric motors. So, should be no torque difference.
  by NaugyRR

Not a torque difference, but the speed at which it is available. With straight electric the power is there, while a diesel has to load first.
  by ConstanceR46

I'd like to say that's what i meant, but I 100% forgot about the electric part of diesel electric.

Perhaps they're looking at getting 2? I thought the number 3 was being thrown around, although it may be yet another rumor. Would make sense, then - 2 on duty, 1 on backup.
  by west point

What is weight of loco? Factor of adhesion? Even a heavy freight loco can only apply so much HP and tractive effort (tonnage pulling power ) at slower speeds without slipping, Not enough info to make an informed conclusion!
  by ConstanceR46

grobtech wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:30 pm Looks like these will be EMD Joule - Battery Locomotives. A look at some of the documents from this month's MTA Board meetings shows that the LIRR and EMD are involved in the testing of said locomotives for "rescue locomotives" for ESA. Pretty cool to see this new technology here.

Found in that same report. It appears these will be Joules indeed, either with a custom body job or one of the export carbodies. Any updates otherwise?