• Patriot Corridor Update (NS/D&H schedules)

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by K4Pacific

From CPRS:

Effective January 2, 2010, NS is changing the current 938/939 trains and adding an additional pair of trains. The changes are as follows:

#938 will handle Albany autos (Ford) and Albany intermodal. The Albany autos will be set off at Delanson to be handled by the SNY to the Northeast Industrial Park in Voorheesville. 938 will then continue to Albany with the intermodals to be spotted for unloading.

#939 will operate out of Albany with intermodals as they currently do but run through to Delanson and lift the empty auto racks from the SNY.

Of course, the SNY will coordinate their crew to be at Delanson to meet #939 and wait there for the loaded autos off #938.

A new pair of trains will be established, #934 and #935. #934 will operate with Pan Am autos and Ayer intermodals. They will change crews at Mohawk (probably Alplaus Road) or Elnora depending on traffic patterns on each day. NS power will run through on these trains to Ayer. I assume PAS will continue to call this train MOAY.

#935 will be a direct connection with AYMO handling empty auto racks and intermodals from Ayer with NS run through power. Again, only a crew change with CP at Mohawk.

Not sure of what times these trains will be operating.

Translation - 2 more trains on the Tier.
  by RailKevin

Sounds like the Northeast Industrial Park (Guilderland Center/Voorheesville) will finally start using the yard as an auto unloading point. Does anyone know if that yard had been used that way in the past? By the looks of it, the yard seems made for that kind of operation.
  by sd80mac

RailKevin wrote:Sounds like the Northeast Industrial Park (Guilderland Center/Voorheesville) will finally start using the yard as an auto unloading point. Does anyone know if that yard had been used that way in the past? By the looks of it, the yard seems made for that kind of operation.
NS did had auto terminal at there around 2000 or 2001 - I cant remember when was the time frame. I think that they tried for one year and stopped after 1 year. I did saw the operation and the following year, it was empty.

I'm kinda of surprise that NS would give it another shot... I dont know how they can complete against CSX's in selkirk. While I was working there, I asked my foreman about NS'. He laughed and wasn't worried about them... He was right since it didn't last past a year or 2 years of operation.
  by march hare

Keep in mind the other end of the shipment.

Ford in particular has historically had a better connection to ex-Wabash and DTI trackage, much of which is now NS, so it may be more conveninent for them to go with NS. Not sure if this is still true, but it used to be.

Added to this is the inconvenient fact that the N(azi)S seems to run a better RR than CSX does.

The only bad news is that this will be yet another step in the de facto takeover of the D&H by the black blob. NS trains already outnumber CP trains south of Albany by a wide margin. Still, traffic is traffic, and I welcome the additional trains.
  by sd80mac

march hare wrote:Ford in particular has historically had a better connection to ex-Wabash and DTI trackage, much of which is now NS, so it may be more conveninent for them to go with NS. Not sure if this is still true, but it used to be.

Added to this is the inconvenient fact that the N(azi)S seems to run a better RR than CSX does.
No. in 1999 (or 98), NS won the multi-million dollars contract with Ford for 10 years. so anything goes out of Ford goes through NS and handle all of shipments, include going on other RR.
I had gut that the reason NS set up auto terminal at Northeast Industrial Park for ford delivery. But during that operation, I was still driving couple ford's off the ML cars at Selkirk, especially with countless of CV vehicles for law enforcements.

Sure NS has been running a lot better than CSX.. no question about it. Snow really drove CSX into ground for shareholders' and his profit purpose. But CSX have most direct, faster, and cheaper route into Northeast market. It would take 2-4 extra days for NS/CP to deliver the shipments...
  by K4Pacific

Quotes from last night across the tier,,,

Tonight's 205 was stopped at CP-Waverly at 2000. Could it have been
waiting for 22K? MMMMMnnn.

22K is near Erwins at 9:38

The first 22K just called went by Gibson 10:20………neat
  by SecaucusJunction

No fair! How come K4 was right on the money about this one but when he thought there would be service east of Binghamton, it didn't materialize. hahah.
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:No fair! How come K4 was right on the money about this one but when he thought there would be service east of Binghamton, it didn't materialize. hahah.

Well, we aren't exactly right all the time... Were only human!
  by K4Pacific

Thank you SJ. Keep my feet to the fire and honest. Do you want or need an answer or some justification?

Now is there any word on today's first 23K? I can't find it in the system.
  by SecaucusJunction

Not at all, just trying to get a laugh and hope for some better luck in that area in the future. Not trying to put you or your knowledge down at all.
  by K4Pacific

Anybody got anything on that 23K? It might slip by as a shorty. Nothing in the system and it might be dark as it is on CP Rails probably right now.

I'm laughing too Secaucus Jct. Tiring Friday here. We'll keep trying. I can promise you. Just gotta recover being down 30%. Actually ahead for January over last year. Lot of gas pipe and drilling rods moving by rail.
  by cr7535

The first 23K is due to depart Ayer on the 9th per the NS website, so it won't be to Binghamton until Sunday the 10th. 22K was by me in Lancaster, NY at 1907 with 2 auto racks and maybe 15 intermodal cars.
  by poppyl

As I mentioned in another thread, you guys should see a healthy increase in pipe loads for the next couple of months or so. Should be headed to Binghamton, Towanda, Wellsboro, Horseheads/Big Flats, North Corning, and somewhere on the Corning Secondary (either Himrod or just north of Dundee). Besides drilling pipe you should see a fair amount of pipe of larger diameters for the collection lines necessary to tie all of the wells into the compressor stations and transmission pipelines.

Interesting sidebar on this was that a couple of years ago when the Millenium pipeline was being installed in the Finger Lakes, a lot of the pipe came via CSX at Lyons and then down to Himrod on the FGLK and Dundee on NS. Taking the Lyons-Geneva leg of the Secondary out of service will change the logistics for any pipe requirements north of Corning.

Poppyl
  by boblenon

Any more updates on this ... ? Will be out in the Albany area this friday.

Thanks.
  by alzubal

sms seems to be coming over to Delanson mid morning to drop off and pick up auto racks most every day